Fall Colors Between Rhio's Ears

Fall Colors Between Rhio's Ears

Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Best Therapy




This has been a terrible winter so far - not really a winter at all.  A few posts back I railed against the fact that it was RAINING in DECEMBER.  It has now RAINED in JANUARY as well.  We are all ice, everywhere.  I haven't ridden since November 21.  This, along with a bunch of other life stuff, has really put me off-kilter.  I can't even attempt to deflect my riding withdrawal into skiing or snowshoeing, two of my favorite winter pursuits - because we don't have any snow!!!

Today I had five straight hours of horses.  It worked wonders on my psyche, truly.  First, I worked on three client horses, giving them acupuncture but also receiving the soul healing that is HORSE back from them at the same time.  This is the wonder and beauty of what I do - I must be totally mindfully present with them and in exchange they give freely of themselves.  Whatever it is, I feel (nearly) like a whole new person (a wee bit more sleep would clinch the deal) - revitalized, regrounded, recentered, buoyed up, and settled, all at once.

Then, I spent unstructured and open-ended time with my own boys.  No clock watching.  No agenda.  Just the time and space to be with them.  Riding would have been better, but two sets of manes and tails all brushed out, eight hooves picked, and countless unspoken words released into their fuzzy necks and frosty muzzles have been therapy enough, for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment